26 June 2009

Radical Elements Redux

The first book I ever wrote was titled The Radical Elements of Radical Success.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I have mixed feelings about the Radical Elements project. On the one hand, I can't believe I had the audacity to write such a book. I can't imagine I would presume to attempt such a thing today.

And yet... every time I flip through it with a critical eye, looking for an excuse to take it off the Rogue Press website, I come away thinking "Hey, there's some good stuff in there, if I do say so myself." It got some very nice reviews over the years. And for some inexplicable reason, it continues to sell a handful of copies from time to time.

As I flipped through it again the other day, the thing that stood out the most was the bits about cynicism, apathy, fear, timidity and smugness, and how poisonous these attributes are. I can't say I've got the antidote, although the book does offer a few thoughts on preventing them.

You can flip through the whole book for free online (and of course you can buy the eBook or the hard copy).

No comments: