21 June 2011

Priorities

Finding out you're going to get deployed does marvelous things to your priorities. Specifically, it clarifies them brilliantly.

I find I've become much more deliberate with my time, now that I suddenly have less of it.There are only a few months left before I head to Kabul and I want to make the most of my time before I go.

For years I've been saying that constraints foster creativity. Now I'm also learning that constraints bring clarity. See, when your time is constrained, you're forced to focus on doing the most important things. And while I'm not crazy about the idea of spending 6 months in Afghanistan, I have to admit there's something cool about a deployment deadline. Everything is more intense & more focused.

The same things happens to a program - when you don't have a lot of time, you focus on doing the essential stuff. One of the best things a project leader can do is set a tight schedule... and stick to it.

For me personally, I expect my blogging schedule is going to change (actually, it already has). I'm not going to stop - but I'm also not going to post as often. I've got other things I need to focus on between now and November. I hope you'll hang in there with me and I appreciate your patience as I direct my energies towards getting ready to go to Kabul.

No comments: