01 March 2011

Evil Plans


I'm a huge fan of Hugh MacLeod. His cartoons-on-the-back-of-business-cards are everything that art and comedy are supposed to be - compelling, insightful, entertaining and thought-provoking, all in a wee-little package. I signed up for his daily emails as soon as he started doing that. It's the only daily email signup I've ever not regretted (sorry Writer's Almanac).

Hugh's first book, Ignore Everybody, was brilliant. And even though I adore his work, I must admit I was a little skeptical about his second book, titled Evil Plans. I was a bit worried about how much of it would just be a rehash of the first book. That didn't stop me from pre-ordering it, of course. But as I did so, I braced myself for disappointment. It turns out I needn't have worried.

Evil Plans is even better than the Ignore Everybody. Wait, can I really say "better" when the two books are so different? For that matter, maybe "different" isn't the right word either - they're both full of his trademark cartoons and insights. You won't mistake this book for a book by anyone else in the world. So they're the same in that sense. But they're also, well, distinct from each other.

I hope you'll pick up a copy, then start making your own Evil Plan.

No comments: