17 February 2011

Bonus Post: On Failure

The first Tom Robbins book I ever read was Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates.  It was brilliant - funny, thought-provoking, insightful and inspiring. I quickly ran out and got Half Asleep In Frog Pajamas, which was coated in just as much awesomesauce as Invalids (ok, maybe a little bit less awesomesauce, but not much). And no, I'm not talking about success-guru and awakener of giants within Tony Robbins. They're two different guys.

Now I'm reading Even Cowgirls Get The Blues and it's knocking my socks off. Just like the other two, I find myself underlining parts that are particularly memorable... and deliberately not underlining some parts because they're just so darn good they stick in my head forever even though they're not underlined.

In honor of some recent discussions about failure, I'd like to pass along a few lines by Mr. Robbins, from Even Cowgirls Get The Blues

"… you must have learned by now that we pay just as dearly for our triumphs as we do for our defeats. Go ahead and fail. But fail with wit, fail with grace, fail with style. A mediocre failure is as insufferable as a mediocre success. Embrace failure! Seek it out. Learn to love it. That may be the only way any of us will ever be free.
- Tom Robbins

No comments: